On 9 Jan we picked up a pretty little hackney pony that was reported to be three years old. She didn’t have a name so three of our littlest volunteers (all under 10) agreed on the name of Bella. She came with a large lump in her left jaw.
Since Dr. Myran would be out to visit with her anyway we went ahead and handled the lump. It turns out that Bella had a molar to be removed and was packing food around that tooth. The removed (and all) tooth supports an age of 12 – 15 years old, NOT THREE.
Bella’s starting weight was ~488 lbs but is gaining already. She was cleared to move out of quarantine so she moved to the barn area yesterday ahead of the storm. She and Blue have decided they are going to be great friends (both have great anxiety from the storm) and we’re hoping they will encourage each other to gain weight. It’s amusing to see the largest and smallest playing together. Bella is very afraid of people near her head and flank but calms down once she knows she’s safe. We’ll report on any training levels once we know more.
This post is slightly late because we’ve been very busy with the pickup last week and the cold weather snap.
Since the day after Hurricane Matthew blew through we have been working towards clearing out land and installing fencing for our 31 Dec deadline to meet our grant requirements.
Normally installing fence is straight forward and we would only need to purchase the supplies and go to work. This fence line had to be found… There was 40+ year old barbed wire, farm fence, and a lot of brush to clear out prior to even beginning the new fence.
Once we were able to start installing the new fence we moved fairly quick. There is no way to express our gratitude to all the many people who came out to help us with our huge project!
Our fence was completed and certified for the grant on 15 Dec and payment was delivered on 20 Dec. This is a huge weight off our minds and now we can focus on cleaning up the area inside the new fence line.
Sebastian has a condition called EOTRH, Equine Odontoclastic Tooth Resorption and Hypercementosis Syndrome, which required all his remaining front teeth to be extracted today.
Although it looks as though we were using a torture chamber, Sebastian was as comfortable as he could be during his procedure. He only really fussed at us once after what seemed to be the most difficult tooth to remove. As always, Dr. Myran was patient with us asking a lot of questions so we could learn while he was working – and for allowing the pictures.
Sebastian went to grazing almost immediately and definitely appreciated his soaked hay. After about three hours out of sedation he decided he really needed a quick run around the pasture.
Tonight at dinner he dove right in – he gets soaked pellets anyway – and let us know that he’s not sweating this stuff we’re all so worried about. He’s already much happier, except that he can’t go back in his pasture with his buddies just yet.
Between Friday’s surgery with Penny and today’s surgery with Sebastian, we had a Veterinary bill of $677 that was unplanned. Please consider a tax deductible donation towards this cost so that our hay funds remain secure. Our PayPal is the easiest way and doesn’t charge any fees if the Friends and Family option is used, comment Sebastian or Hay. We always accept check, money order, cash, and in kind donations.
We scheduled a Vet visit with Dr. Myran today for what was only supposed to be dental exams. The visit ended up being a well check/surgical/x-ray day instead!
Winslow arrived with a damaged eye but it has been quickly changing structure (non emergent). He still has his eye and it’s progressing normally. We’ll recheck in the Spring unless something changes before then.
Blue has been lame off and on since Friday so he was next on the list. He is showing signs of arthritis and will be on a medication for the remainder of his lifetime.
Penny has been snotty for the past few days and will continue to be separated for a few more, no huge issues noted. Hopefully she will clear herself. She arrived to us with a small growth on her right front leg. In the past two weeks it has doubled in size. Dr. Myran felt it was time to remove it. Thankfully it does not look like it requires a biopsy. He’ll let us know if the opinion changes.
Last on the injured list is Sebastian. Sebastian is taking his old man status seriously. We thought we were focusing on his left rear leg, instead we’re focused on his teeth. We knew he had some arthritis, but has progressed to create calcification on both rear legs. He doesn’t seem to mind a lot 😉 he’s stoic about most things. Sebastian’s teeth tell us a different story after some x-rays. He has a severe case of Equine Odontoclastic Tooth Resorption and Hypercementosis Syndrome, EOTRH, and will be having all of his remaining front teeth extracted on Monday.
The rest of the herd did not require any dental treatment at this time. The herd was spirited this morning in the cold weather and as always, Dr. Myran proved why he is our Veterinarian of choice.
Purchase your fresh wreaths, garlands, center pieces, and trees and have them shipped directly to your home. Fabulous choice for Christmas! 20% of purchases and 100% of donations come back to Second Chances. This fundraiser ends 12 Dec so order now for your Holiday decorating!
Last year at this time we had a little wiggle room. We weren’t full and we had a few dedicated sponsors.
Today we are over our max and have only those same dedicated sponsors. We are in need ourselves. Making a horse ‘safe’ is just the beginning of the process. Each horse costs us approximately $225 per month – if no emergencies or special needs occur.
Are you able to help support our mission to ensure our herd AND area horses remain safe? We have several options for donations and all of them are tax deductible. A lot of people sending $5 – $10 every month definitely does add up and makes it possible for us to continue saving lives.
Our mailing address is
Second Chances Equine Rescue
7663 Hwy 196 W
Hinesville, GA 31313
We have five horses available for adoption that are trained to ride (at various levels) and will require a refresher. We have three more available that have not been trained. We have a bonded pair of burros available as guardians. Our adoption process can be found at www.scer-ga.org/adopt. Our adoption fees on these range from $300 to $900 dependant on the horse in question. We are looking for forever homes!
We have had contacts in the past week for five additional horses that are in need. These horses will need a full veterinary workup in addition to appropriate farrier care and refeeding. Each horse we accept will cost approximately $500 for the first month.
We have a grant, and deadline of 31 Dec, to replace old fence around the hay barn and exclude the pond. The biggest problem was finding one section of fencing so we could remove it. It was severely overgrown.
Yesterday we had a few volunteers come out to tackle that section. There were trees, vines, bushes, and fence buried 6 inched in the ground. Old barbed wire and new vines with thorns surrounded a large part of it.
We not only found the old fence, we removed most of what would prevent installing the new one. Bon-fire anyone?
While we were clearing the land, one of the guys started repairing the tin roof on the hay barn. Something that’s needed done for a while and made worse by Hurricane Matthew. Now we have a secure roof.
Thank you to Alton, Damien, Dominique, Kevin, Lee, Sam, and Stephanie for being outstanding and giving us part (or all) of your Monday.
The herd plus our three guests are all doing well. Only one minor contusion between them all that we could see.
We have zero damage to the fencing in the main pastures! However we did lose our quarantine pen to a tree (no one was in there). We have lost a total of 7 trees, several large and small branches, and 2 power poles that had no service. We’re still without power but thankfully we filled all the water troughs we had prior to it going down. Hopefully that will get us through until power is restored.
Please join us tomorrow for the beginnings of cleanup if you have the time and/or equipment.
We know you’d all prefer a picture of the herd but this beautiful shot of the pasture was too much to pass up since we had two very ugly days.