Saturday we were called in by Bryan County Sheriff’s Department to pick up three mares that were at large in their community. Although they were roaming the owner was known and surrendered the horses to the County.
Dr. Myran saw them today for vaccinations, Coggins, and checking on a few things. There is good and bad news.
Moon is a 2016 Appaloosa filly – we do not know exactly when she was born but she is stunted in her growth. Aging her places her right at a yearling, we met her in October AFTER she had already been weaned. Moon is sitting at a 3.5 to 4 where 5 is a healthy weight.
Sissy is a 2008 Quarter Horse mare that got into something her skin did not like, most likely bugs. She has hives all over her head and shoulders. Sissy is the healthiest of the three at 4.5 out of 5.
Mist is a 2002 Appaloosa mare that is at a 3 out of 5. She came to us with small bits of Squamous Cell Carcinoma in her left eye and will require surgery of the third eyelid before the spots become too large and her entire eye becomes effected. She will require additional sun care.
Our first months estimated cost for these girls will be $965.00.
Vaccinations, Coggins, checkup $126.90
Mist Surgery $75.00
Sissy allergy medication $35.00
Farrier x3 $120.00
Feed and Hay $571.50
Luckily we had doses remaining of the vaccine grant we were awarded back in the Spring so our cost today was greatly reduced. Those were the last of the grant. The surgery for Mist is a must and needs to be performed sooner than later. Sissy will require at least temporary medication for the hives – potentially ongoing treatment. The horses have not been trimmed in some time and will see our Farrier soon. All three require dewormer, feed, and hay.
Please consider a tax deductible donation towards this cost. These are the 152nd, 153rd, and 154th equines with over 90% of that number being from less than a 60 mile radius of our pastures. We can not continue supporting the community without your assistance. A small amount from many people makes a huge difference in the lives of the equines in our local community.
We welcome visitors to the rescue; in-kind donations; send cash, check, or money orders; or donate through PayPal at firstname.lastname@example.org using the Friends and Family option. All donations go directly to an equine in need and are tax deductible.
We also pick up horses for our local county and state agencies. In most cases we get a horse, or four, in horrible condition that takes forever to rehabilitate with little support.
When we pick up the horses we attempt to chase down the history so we are armed with as much knowledge as possible. We ask questions from previous owners and occasionally give first option to them. We have NEVER had a previous owner interested in supporting their horse.
Recently we pulled a horse and reached out like always. We are happy to announce that a previous owner came through for this horse. He went back home today and will hopefully never be in danger again.
On 9 Jan we picked up a pretty little hackney pony that was reported to be three years old. She didn’t have a name so three of our littlest volunteers (all under 10) agreed on the name of Bella. She came with a large lump in her left jaw.
Since Dr. Myran would be out to visit with her anyway we went ahead and handled the lump. It turns out that Bella had a molar to be removed and was packing food around that tooth. The removed (and all) tooth supports an age of 12 – 15 years old, NOT THREE.
Bella’s starting weight was ~488 lbs but is gaining already. She was cleared to move out of quarantine so she moved to the barn area yesterday ahead of the storm. She and Blue have decided they are going to be great friends (both have great anxiety from the storm) and we’re hoping they will encourage each other to gain weight. It’s amusing to see the largest and smallest playing together. Bella is very afraid of people near her head and flank but calms down once she knows she’s safe. We’ll report on any training levels once we know more.
Sebastian has a condition called EOTRH, Equine Odontoclastic Tooth Resorption and Hypercementosis Syndrome, which required all his remaining front teeth to be extracted today.
Although it looks as though we were using a torture chamber, Sebastian was as comfortable as he could be during his procedure. He only really fussed at us once after what seemed to be the most difficult tooth to remove. As always, Dr. Myran was patient with us asking a lot of questions so we could learn while he was working – and for allowing the pictures.
Sebastian went to grazing almost immediately and definitely appreciated his soaked hay. After about three hours out of sedation he decided he really needed a quick run around the pasture.
Tonight at dinner he dove right in – he gets soaked pellets anyway – and let us know that he’s not sweating this stuff we’re all so worried about. He’s already much happier, except that he can’t go back in his pasture with his buddies just yet.
Between Friday’s surgery with Penny and today’s surgery with Sebastian, we had a Veterinary bill of $677 that was unplanned. Please consider a tax deductible donation towards this cost so that our hay funds remain secure. Our PayPal is the easiest way and doesn’t charge any fees if the Friends and Family option is used, comment Sebastian or Hay. We always accept check, money order, cash, and in kind donations.
We scheduled a Vet visit with Dr. Myran today for what was only supposed to be dental exams. The visit ended up being a well check/surgical/x-ray day instead!
Winslow arrived with a damaged eye but it has been quickly changing structure (non emergent). He still has his eye and it’s progressing normally. We’ll recheck in the Spring unless something changes before then.
Blue has been lame off and on since Friday so he was next on the list. He is showing signs of arthritis and will be on a medication for the remainder of his lifetime.
Penny has been snotty for the past few days and will continue to be separated for a few more, no huge issues noted. Hopefully she will clear herself. She arrived to us with a small growth on her right front leg. In the past two weeks it has doubled in size. Dr. Myran felt it was time to remove it. Thankfully it does not look like it requires a biopsy. He’ll let us know if the opinion changes.
Last on the injured list is Sebastian. Sebastian is taking his old man status seriously. We thought we were focusing on his left rear leg, instead we’re focused on his teeth. We knew he had some arthritis, but has progressed to create calcification on both rear legs. He doesn’t seem to mind a lot 😉 he’s stoic about most things. Sebastian’s teeth tell us a different story after some x-rays. He has a severe case of Equine Odontoclastic Tooth Resorption and Hypercementosis Syndrome, EOTRH, and will be having all of his remaining front teeth extracted on Monday.
The rest of the herd did not require any dental treatment at this time. The herd was spirited this morning in the cold weather and as always, Dr. Myran proved why he is our Veterinarian of choice.
Last year at this time we had a little wiggle room. We weren’t full and we had a few dedicated sponsors.
Today we are over our max and have only those same dedicated sponsors. We are in need ourselves. Making a horse ‘safe’ is just the beginning of the process. Each horse costs us approximately $225 per month – if no emergencies or special needs occur.
Are you able to help support our mission to ensure our herd AND area horses remain safe? We have several options for donations and all of them are tax deductible. A lot of people sending $5 – $10 every month definitely does add up and makes it possible for us to continue saving lives.
Our mailing address is
Second Chances Equine Rescue
7663 Hwy 196 W
Hinesville, GA 31313
We have five horses available for adoption that are trained to ride (at various levels) and will require a refresher. We have three more available that have not been trained. We have a bonded pair of burros available as guardians. Our adoption process can be found at www.scer-ga.org/adopt. Our adoption fees on these range from $300 to $900 dependant on the horse in question. We are looking for forever homes!
We have had contacts in the past week for five additional horses that are in need. These horses will need a full veterinary workup in addition to appropriate farrier care and refeeding. Each horse we accept will cost approximately $500 for the first month.
We started with the farrier for half the herd – everyone is improving in this half.
Then Dr. Myran from Countryside Equine Medicine and Dentistry came out to visit Avery, Blue, Nick, and Penny.
Everyone jump for joy with us when we announce that Avery and Penny are NOT bred! They just have humongous grass bellies.
We are exploring suggested options for Nick to have front shoes to relieve some of his discomfort. This should be entertaining with him.
And last but not least Blue got a check up because he is just not gaining weight like we expect AND he managed to stab himself with something in the pasture. Yes we checked and could not find anything he could have done it with. Apparently it ran away as soon as it stabbed him. He’s already swelling and trying to get infected (we found it yesterday) so Blue gets some antibiotics to go with his topical treatment and cold hosing. Blue also had most all his teeth done today. We can definitely understand why it’s been taking so long for him to eat. Recheck in three weeks if not before. Blue will require additional dental work in a few months as Dr. Myran felt it was not prudent to take it all at one time.
As soon as Dr. Myran left we loaded up the trailer on what was hoped to be a pickup. Unfortunately we had to see Dr. Myran again at that location so we could help the horse cross the Rainbow Bridge. :'(
As always, THANK YOU Dr. Myran for being a great Veterinarian and helping us meet our mission goals!
We rushed back for feeding and to make it to Tractor Supply’s Friends and Family Event before closing tonight. We now have all of the fence and most of our fence posts for our upcoming installation. Now we need gates, galvanised pins, and poly tape electric fence insulators – and lots of assistance!
We ran inside after the rain started pouring 🙁 Tired fully explains our day.
It took us nearly three years to agree that Cinnamon was ready to go to a forever home because she was not treated well before her arrival. When we did decide to place her as available we knew that she needed more individual time and attention than what she was getting with us.
Cinnamon has been adopted by a military retiree who needs her as much as she needs him. She immediately dropped her head to him and nuzzled for a long while. Cinnamon does not bow to anything. She will get the time and care she so deserves and hopefully will help to heal her new person.
We will miss Cinnamon – Shady is quite upset with us – but know that she will be in good hands.
We have been medicating the abscess in Cheyenne’s eye for the past month with no real change. Dr. Myran came back out to assess whether the medication was helping at all or we were to take the next step of either removing the eye or consulting with an Ophthalmologist.
Tonight we lost the battle for her eye but she already feels so much better. The abscess ruptured leaving no choice but to remove it. We KNOW Cheyenne is a fighter so we feel sure that she will adjust to her changed outlook in no time at all.
The total cost for all treatment was $440.00 and a YouCaring fundraiser has been created. Or our PayPal email address is email@example.com, please use the Friends and Family option so that we do not have to pay additional fees. We also welcome cash or checks to us at 7663 Hwy 196 W Hinesville, GA 31313. Please help us cover this cost. If 100 people were able to support with just $5, it would be covered and we could apply those funds towards feed and care of the entire herd.
We are posting the graphic video on YouTube – if you are squeamish please do not watch.
Half the herd was trimmed today, the difficult half. Very frequently our new arrivals have been through experiences that do not make standing for a farrier fun or they simply haven’t had the proper training. Once again Kasie proves why she’s our excellent choice to keep our herd on the proper footing.
Niache started us out because she loves her Kasie! She ground ties beautifully. Shady and Cinnamon came next to get that pasture completed. No issues found with these three. We missed the picture of Cinnamon.
Next came Penny because we knew she would be difficult but easier than her brother. She only required a little work before she was ready to stand with the lead in a back pocket for all four feet.
Lady and Blue were up next with a check in for Nick.
Lady is definitely thrush free! Apparently her new location is a plus. She is a lot shorter in the toes and was daintily walking back to her pasture.
Huge Standardbred hooves!
Blue had a small bit of thrush in one hoof but stood great. Considering that he didn’t want to be touched at all upon arrival we think he has finally realized he is safe.
Nick has an ugly absess he’s working through and did not get trimmed.
Last but definitely not least Hiawasse was up. He wanted to dance instead of trim his hooves. Finally after some discussion he learned that Kasie wasn’t going to hurt him either and cooperated.
We do work with the horses on picking up their feet but it’s not nearly the same as having all of the equipment and an extra person about. We’re happy to have found a partner who is willing to help us make the horses better citizens while taking good care of their feet.